By Idongesit Uyo|
The problem with Akwa Ibomites and even Nigerians is that we forget so easily, if not, we would have known that Mr. Nsima Ekere can never be the Governor of Akwa Ibom State.
Taking the history of Governorship election in the state into consideration, we won’t need a soothsayer to tell us that Akwa Ibom State is PDP and that will never change.
Since 1999, all that the opposition does is to shout, shout and shout but loose woefully at the end. It is very common to see opposition gather at plaza where newspaper vendors are to analyse Akwa Ibom politics in a way and manner it gives them joy. If what gives them joy which includes day dreaming is anything to go by, then Dr. Ime Umanah, Cap. Sam Enwang, Sen. Udoedghe and Mr. Umanah Okon Umanah would have been the Governor of Akwa Ibom State in 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015 respectively.
Now, lets briefly look at how these individuals and the noise making opposition supporters performed during election which they all failed.
1. In 1999, it was Obong Victor Attah of PDP and Obong Akpan Isemin of APP. During this time, there was no clear opposition. PDP won.
2. In 2003 the major contenders were Obong Victor Attah of PDP and Dr. Ime Umanah of ANPP. ANPP made all the noise in the world, abused Obong Attah and PDP. Okada men, farmers, electricians etc were all “making noise for ufan ndito ubuene”.
After all the noise, ANPP and Dr. Umanah had only 197,369 votes while PDP went home with 1,028,764 votes.
Dr. Umanah went to court to challenge the result. While the case was still in court, opposition were already singing victory songs but PDP won.
3. In 2007, it was Obong Godswill Akpabio of PDP vs Captain Sam Enwang of ANPP as well as James Iniama of AC. Because of internal issues in ANPP, they could not put up a good fight and Obong Akpabio was declared the winner ahead of James Iniama who came a distant second.
4. In 2011, it was more like the clash of the titans. While PDP produced Obong Akpabio as their candidate, then ACN settled for Sen. Akpan Udoedehe. The opposition in their usual manner started making noise, spreading lies and calling Akpabio and PDP names.
They burnt houses, schools, offices, loot and killed many even before the election day. Opposition gathered everyday at plaza to rain abuses on Akpabio instead of canvasing for votes from the electorates.
At the end of the day, PDP had 957,585 votes while ACN managed 163,449 votes. Instead of accepting defeat, ACN went to court. While in court, the opposition returned to propaganda. It was everyday diffrent stories from them. Newspaper houses were not even helping matters. You wake up to read that Akpabio has already lost in court only to find out that the court did not even sit that day. Akpabio won at the end.
5. In 2015, the Peoples Democratic Party went for Mr. Udom Emmanuel while the APC gave their ticket to Mr. Umana Okon Umana. In their usual manner, the APC and their candidate relied on lies, intimidation and propaganda to win but could manage only 89,865 votes as against PDP’s 996,071 votes.
While preparing for the election, there was nothing negative APC did not do just to win. The social media space became their campaign ground/office. Abuses were thrown at anybody who dared challenge them. Mr. Umana was presented as the messaih who has come to clear all the mess PDP made, the same “mess he was part of, for 14 good years.
On losing, they went to court and lost again.
Now, they have started cleaning Nsima Ekere, they are telling anybody who cares to listen that Nsima Ekere is the solution to all our problems forgeting that Mr. Ekere is a big problem himself. Under his watch as the NDDC chairman, it is one day one trouble. If his convoy is not killing someone, he will pay people money to protest, use his cult gang to intimidate dissenting views or bribe an organisation to give him an award.
Obviously, those jumping up and down Nsima’s tail for peanuts are very poor students of history, following a drowning man who has lost focus in his duty post as NDDC boss. Why people are waiting for the first major project his NDDC will commission in the region, he is busy globe trotting for fantasy awards and recognitions.
Well let’s see how many votes the billions wasted an a silly diapora award, will fetch this desperate money-miss road.